Definition of vanquish :
1. A disease in sheep, in which they pine away.
2. Hence, to defeat in any contest; to get the better of; to put down; to refute.
3. To conquer, overcome, or subdue in battle, as an enemy.
lash, batter, wash up, ticktack, tap out, have words, blast, dumbfound, squash, cudgel, stupefy, quiver, scold, pommel, squelch, shell, call down, ticktock, drum, amaze, clobber, castigate, chew out, worst, berate, chide, nonplus, break down, thrum, flog, lather, mash, smear, welt, pulsate, outfox, thump out, reprimand, scourge, strike, tucker out, chew up, take to task, flap, steamroller, call on the carpet, jam, scramble, outsmart, tucker, jaw, work over, spank, ace, switch, lecture, squeeze, demolish, bunk, puzzle, chastise, belabor, exhaust, cream, circumvent, beat up, bawl out, reproof, surpass, overreach, overwhelm, remonstrate, dress down, lick, vex, bastinado, beat out, shellac, study at defeat, prevail against, best, strap, smash, flummox, annihilate, pound, drub, rebuke, lambaste, bewilder, trim, perplex, lambast, subjugate, get, suppress, smite, gravel, pose, baffle, wallop, rag, husk, tick, stick, mystify, bruise, massacre, thump, outwit, thrash, slash
defeat (part of speech: verb)
defeat, win, beat, conquer, trounce, overcome, overturn, humble, subject, outdo, surmount, crush, overpower, foil, capture, predominate, overthrow, rout, subdue, triumph, quell, master, trump, checkmate, outplay, whip
dominate (part of speech: verb)
- We fight, we vanquish- and we forget." - "An Outcast of the Islands", Joseph Conrad.
- " Perhaps, Sancho," returned Don Quixote, " the enchantment does not go so far as to deprive conquered and presented giants and knights of the power of recognising Dulcinea; we will try by experiment with one or two of the first I vanquish and send to her, whether they see her or not, by commanding them to return and give me an account of what happened to them in this respect." - "The History of Don Quixote, Volume II., Complete", Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra.
- Works of penance, fasting, prayer, and penitence, are the weapons wherewith I shall arm myself to combat, and, with the Divine help, to vanquish. - "Pepita Ximenez", Juan Valera.