Definition of varnish:
- A viscid liquid, consisting of a solution of resinous matter in an oil or a volatile liquid, laid on work with a brush, or otherwise. When applied the varnish soon dries, either by evaporation or chemical action, and the resinous part forms thus a smooth, hard surface, with a beautiful gloss, capable of resisting, to a greater or less degree, the influences of air and moisture.
- An artificial covering to give a fair appearance to any act or conduct; outside show; gloss.
- That which resembles varnish, either naturally or artificially; a glossy appearance.
- To cover or conceal with something that gives a fair appearance; to give a fair coloring to by words; to gloss over; to palliate; as, to varnish guilt.
- To lay varnish on; to cover with a liquid which produces, when dry, a hard, glossy surface; as, to varnish a table; to varnish a painting.
golden oak, paper, borax, silver wire lacquer, abrasive, cleaner, dark oak, walnut, seal, skin, lacquer red, layer, color, paint, membrane, disinfectant, cream lacquer, japan black, air freshener, whitewash, board over, carpet, tile, cleanser, put a good face on, foam, brown lacquer, seal off, wax, plate, light pine, cover, ice, cement, sugarcoat, paper over, sheet-gold lacquer, cherry, gild, veneer, surface, French polish, dark pine, bleach, dishwashing liquid, true, plaster, gold-rust, green lacquer, mahogany, blanket.
- "Lavender and Old Lace", Myrtle Reed.
- "Diseases of the Horse's Foot", Harry Caulton Reeks.
- "Baboo Jabberjee, B.A.", F. Anstey.