Definition of vegetable:
- A plant used or cultivated for food for man or domestic animals, as the cabbage, turnip, potato, bean, dandelion, etc.; also, the edible part of such a plant, as prepared for market or the table.
- A plant. See Plant.
- Consisting of, or comprising, plants; as, the vegetable kingdom.
- Of or pertaining to plants; having the nature of, or produced by, plants; as, a vegetable nature; vegetable growths, juices, etc.
- Plants having distinct flowers and true seeds.
- Plants without true flowers, and reproduced by minute spores of various kinds, or by simple cell division.
floral, growing, unthinking, inactive, humble, lowly, blooming, monotonous, passive, stalklike, veggie, quiet, dull, seedlike, stagnant, inert, vegetational, comatose, stationary, rootlike, stemlike, vegetal, vegetative, stupid, veg, mild, blossoming.
vegetable (part of speech: noun)
- green beans,
- Lima beans,
- sweet potato,
- Brussels sprouts,
- string beans,
- collard greens,
- water cress,
- vegetation (part of speech: noun)
It is also observed that strata, in proportion as they are of newer date, bear the nearest resemblance in mineral character to those which are now in the progress of formation in seas or lakes, the newest of all consisting principally of soft mud or loose sand, in some places full of shells, corals, or other organic bodies, animal or vegetable, in others wholly devoid of such remains.- "The Student's Elements of Geology", Sir Charles Lyell.
- "The Social Work of the Salvation Army", Edwin Gifford Lamb.
- "Melbourne House", Elizabeth Wetherell.