Definition of vegetative:
- Growing, or having the power of growing, as plants; capable of vegetating.
- Having relation to growth or nutrition; partaking of simple growth and enlargement of the systems of nutrition, apart from the sensorial or distinctively animal functions; vegetal.
- Having the power to produce growth in plants; as, the vegetative properties of soil.
- motionless (part of speech: adjective)
- inert (part of speech: adjective)
In all fungi we may recognize a vegetative and a reproductive system: sometimes the first only becomes developed, and then the fungus is imperfect, and sometimes the latter is far more prominent than the former.- "Fungi: Their Nature and Uses", Mordecai Cubitt Cooke.
- "Soil Culture", J. H. Walden.
- "Manual of American Grape-Growing", U. P. Hedrick.