Definition of veneer:
- A thin leaf or layer of a more valuable or beautiful material for overlaying an inferior one, especially such a thin leaf of wood to be glued to a cheaper wood; hence, external show; gloss; false pretense.
- To overlay or plate with a thin layer of wood or other material for outer finish or decoration; as, to veneer a piece of furniture with mahogany. Used also figuratively.
color, semblance, cover, disguisement, disguise, pretext, show, exterior, masquerade, cladding, gloss, face, front, lining, veneering, window-dressing, guise, facing, false colors, pretense, surface, put-on, coloring.
- "Blue-grass and Broadway", Maria Thompson Daviess.
- "The Elements of Geology", William Harmon Norton.
- "The Plum Tree", David Graham Phillips.