Definition of verifying:
- ascertaining (part of speech: verb)
- examining (part of speech: verb)
affirming (part of speech: verb)
- setting down,
- experimenting (part of speech: verb)
- substantiating (part of speech: verb)
- proving (part of speech: verb)
Compare with these methods of isolated observations the statement of Jevons that observation as conducted by scientific men is effective " only when excited and guided by hope of verifying a theory"; and again, " the number of things which can be observed and experimented upon are infinite, and if we merely set to work to record facts without any distinct purpose, our records will have no value."- "How We Think", John Dewey.
- "Memoir, Correspondence, And Miscellanies, From The Papers Of Thomas Jefferson", Thomas Jefferson.
- "Life's Minor Collisions", Frances Warner Gertrude Warner.