Definition of vertical :
1. A vertical line, plane, or circle.
2. Of or pertaining to the vertex; situated at the vertex, or highest point; directly overhead, or in the zenith; perpendicularly above one.
3. Perpendicular to the plane of the horizon; upright; plumb; as, a vertical line.
4. position; zenith.
horizontal, standing, rampant, fastigiate, good, rearing, passant, erectile, on end, cocked up, unbowed, straight-backed, stand-up, upended, tumid, straight up, orthostatic, upward, statant, unsloped, unbent, upright piano, just, plumb
vertical (part of speech: adjective)
- They grow rather slowly, but do not take much space, on account of their vertical habit. - "The Art of the Exposition", Eugen Neuhaus.
- Presently he saw the vertical beams of the sun again piercing the opening in the distance. - "From Sand Hill to Pine", Bret Harte.
- The circumstances we have mentioned before- pressure of the exudate upon it in front and tension of the perforans on it behind- have caused it to assume a more upright position than is normal, so much so that in a bad case the front of the bone becomes quite vertical. - "Diseases of the Horse's Foot", Harry Caulton Reeks.