Definition of visitation:
- A festival in honor of the visit of the Virgin Mary to Elisabeth, mother of John the Baptist, celebrated on the second of July.
- Special dispensation; communication of divine favor and goodness, or, more usually, of divine wrath and vengeance; retributive calamity; retribution; judgment.
- The act of a naval commander who visits, or enters on board, a vessel belonging to another nation, for the purpose of ascertaining her character and object, but without claiming or exercising a right of searching the vessel. It is, however, usually coupled with the right of search ( see under Search), visitation being used for the purpose of search.
- The act of visiting, or the state of being visited; access for inspection or examination.
- The object of a visit.
run, trial run, flying visit, circuit, visit, pain, ill fortune, blaspheme, disaster, blasphemous, adversity, co-respondent, misadventure, sorrow, disappointment, tribulation, courtesy call, failure, distress, alimony, ordeal, trial, call, joint custody, seek, angel, ill luck, sojourn, dissolution, stroke, absolution, blasphemy, bless, whistle-stop tour, archangel, conducted tour, contact, tryout, open house, bereavement, dissolve, trouble, ex, ill, round, reverse, blow, misfortune, mishap, article of faith, calamity, difficulty, chastening, blessing, affliction, look-in, sickness, divorce, mischance, chastisement, test, ruin, hardship, misery, visiting, access, crucible, easy, harm, angelic.
- "Devereux, Book I.", Edward Bulwer-Lytton.
- "Measles", W. C. Rucker.
- "The History of England from the Accession of James II. Volume 1 (of 5)", Thomas Babington Macaulay.