Definition of wager:
- A contract by which two parties or more agree that a certain sum of money, or other thing, shall be paid or delivered to one of them, on the happening or not happening of an uncertain event.
- Something deposited, laid, or hazarded on the event of a contest or an unsettled question; a bet; a stake; a pledge.
- That on which bets are laid; the subject of a bet.
- To hazard on the issue of a contest, or on some question that is to be decided, or on some casualty; to lay; to stake; to bet.
- To make a bet; to lay a wager.
look, trifle, encounter, diddle, take on, act as, reckon, fiddle, post, roleplay, bet, work, speculation, interest, playact, make for, ante, flirt, play, gambling, toy, stakes, depend, dally, count, wreak, spiel, calculate, stake, meet, act, challenge, recreate, run, represent, pot, bring.
- "54-40 or Fight", Emerson Hough.
- "Salute to Adventurers", John Buchan.
- "The Title Market", Emily Post.