Definition of wager :
1. A contract by which two parties or more agree that a certain sum of money, or other thing, shall be paid or delivered to one of them, on the happening or not happening of an uncertain event.
2. Something deposited, laid, or hazarded on the event of a contest or an unsettled question; a bet; a stake; a pledge.
3. That on which bets are laid; the subject of a bet.
4. To hazard on the issue of a contest, or on some question that is to be decided, or on some casualty; to lay; to stake; to bet.
5. To make a bet; to lay a wager.
playact, act as, recreate, fiddle, flirt, ante, work, take on, pot, act, stakes, calculate, encounter, speculation, dally, play, depend, represent, challenge, bring, roleplay, count, trifle, interest, stake, meet, post, look, gambling, make for, toy, diddle, run, wreak, spiel, reckon
chance (part of speech: verb)
- I saw I had lost; and I told you I would pay my wager. - "54-40 or Fight", Emerson Hough.
- To this he said nothing, but offered to wager with me on the result of the race, which was now all but ending. - "Salute to Adventurers", John Buchan.
- You have not made a wager and won? - "The Title Market", Emily Post.