Definition of wane:
- An inequality in a board.
- Decline; failure; diminution; decrease; declension.
- The decrease of the illuminated part of the moon to the eye of a spectator.
- The natural curvature of a log or of the edge of a board sawed from a log.
- To be diminished; to decrease; - contrasted with wax, and especially applied to the illuminated part of the moon.
- To cause to decrease.
- To decline; to fail; to sink.
bate, waste, ease, reflux, fall off, letup, fail, remission, ebbing, weaken, remit, abate, languish, reject, go under, set, abatement, slack off, subside, fizzle, flag, decline, fall, let up, die, turn down, strong, crash, come down, correct, moderate, descend, go down, subsidence, ebb, slacken, settle, increase, pass up, slackening, refuse.
- decrease (part of speech: verb)
- deteriorate (part of speech: verb)
- "Marcy The Blockade Runner", Harry Castlemon.
- "The Upton Letters", Arthur Christopher Benson.
- "The Extermination of the American Bison", William T. Hornaday.