Definition of watch:
- A small timepiece, or chronometer, to be carried about the person, the machinery of which is moved by a spring.
- An allotted portion of time, usually four hour for standing watch, or being on deck ready for duty. Cf. Dogwatch.
- One who watches, or those who watch; a watchman, or a body of watchmen; a sentry; a guard.
- That part, usually one half, of the officers and crew, who together attend to the working of a vessel for an allotted time, usually four hours. The watches are designated as the port watch, and the starboard watch.
- The act of watching; forbearance of sleep; vigil; wakeful, vigilant, or constantly observant attention; close observation; guard; preservative or preventive vigilance; formerly, a watching or guarding by night.
- The period of the night during which a person does duty as a sentinel, or guard; the time from the placing of a sentinel till his relief; hence, a division of the night.
- The post or office of a watchman; also, the place where a watchman is posted, or where a guard is kept.
- To be attentive or vigilant; to give heed; to be on the lookout; to keep guard; to act as sentinel.
- To be awake; to be or continue without sleep; to wake; to keep vigil.
- To be expectant; to look with expectation; to wait; to seek opportunity.
- To give heed to; to observe the actions or motions of, for any purpose; to keep in view; not to lose from sight and observation; as, to watch the progress of a bill in the legislature.
- To remain awake with any one as nurse or attendant; to attend on the sick during the night; as, to watch with a man in a fever.
- To serve the purpose of a watchman by floating properly in its place; - said of a buoy.
- To tend; to guard; to have in keeping.
gibe, vigil, sop up, mold, check up on, confront, have, moderate, fascinate, project, look after, notice, gather in, condition, esteem, put on, fall out, determine, go through, reside, suck up, realise, sentinel, realize, hunter, come across, come after, find out, rest, memorize, inhabit, lookout man, enamour, retard, overhear, run across, accompany, interpret, envision, look at, see to it, contain, espouse, fix, beware, shape, see to, instruct, get a line, insure, follow, repute, fit, stick with, earn, square off, entrance, keep up, hold back, hold, lodge, trip up, tally, draw, pump, memorise, gull, get wind, visualize, watchman, cod, survey, trick, limit, set, suck, tick, pathfinder, image, meet, sleepiness, scout, assimilate, overtake, discover, discipline, be, make, understand, lookout station, con, piquet, sojourn, expect, dwell, turn back, slang, mark off, come, becharm, keep abreast, invite, minister to, catch, look out, encounter, observance, take note, outlook, visit, await, bring in, take care, anticipate, patrol, stock ticker, correspond, eye, catch up with, note, take up, go out, grab, travel along, pick up, run into, curb, dupe, stay, detect, endure, check over, shift, abide by, get word, consider, wait, enamor, put one over, postdate, trance, keep an eye on, take after, respect, clear, crack, check into, live, picket, delay, fancy, keep, ingest, define, teach, careful, stop, check off, charm, attention, agree, receive, stick to, put one across, find, learn, consume, picture, maintain, look upon, escort, hear, hold in, check, jibe, examine, experience, observation, befool, sentry, ascertain, care for, vigilance, arrest, abide, catch out, assure, enchant, pale, reckon, observation post, settle, talent scout, think of, awareness, play along, observer, be on guard, check out, make up one's mind, observe, take in, honour, train, suck in, break, heart, capture, neglect, look on, guide, get, captivate, construe, see, bear, finder, guardian, hitch, absorb, spotter, guard, take hold of, specify, remain, gain, tick off, match, soak up, figure, take, watch out, chequer, checker, regulate, observatory, observation tower, adopt, square up, conform to, go over, honor, imbibe, mention, continue, ensure, acquire, tarry, ticker, take to be, regard as, comply, collect, date, mark, read, tend, surveil, tolerate, pull in, fool, succeed, suss out, surveillance, lookout, influence, bewitch, trace, visualise, watch over, decide, keep an eye peeled, discoverer, pursue, look into, go steady, control, remark, larn, be on the lookout, celebrate, bide, beguile.
- chronometer (part of speech: noun)
- observe (part of speech: verb)
- see (part of speech: verb)
- heed (part of speech: verb)
- "Miss Theodosia's Heartstrings", Annie Hamilton Donnell.
- "A Tar-Heel Baron", Mabell Shippie Clarke Pelton.
- "The Girl Aviators' Motor Butterfly", Margaret Burnham.