Definition of watch :
1. A small timepiece, or chronometer, to be carried about the person, the machinery of which is moved by a spring.
2. An allotted portion of time, usually four hour for standing watch, or being on deck ready for duty. Cf. Dogwatch.
3. One who watches, or those who watch; a watchman, or a body of watchmen; a sentry; a guard.
4. That part, usually one half, of the officers and crew, who together attend to the working of a vessel for an allotted time, usually four hours. The watches are designated as the port watch, and the starboard watch.
5. The act of watching; forbearance of sleep; vigil; wakeful, vigilant, or constantly observant attention; close observation; guard; preservative or preventive vigilance; formerly, a watching or guarding by night.
6. The period of the night during which a person does duty as a sentinel, or guard; the time from the placing of a sentinel till his relief; hence, a division of the night.
7. The post or office of a watchman; also, the place where a watchman is posted, or where a guard is kept.
8. To be attentive or vigilant; to give heed; to be on the lookout; to keep guard; to act as sentinel.
9. To be awake; to be or continue without sleep; to wake; to keep vigil.
10. To be expectant; to look with expectation; to wait; to seek opportunity.
11. To give heed to; to observe the actions or motions of, for any purpose; to keep in view; not to lose from sight and observation; as, to watch the progress of a bill in the legislature.
12. To remain awake with any one as nurse or attendant; to attend on the sick during the night; as, to watch with a man in a fever.
13. To serve the purpose of a watchman by floating properly in its place; - said of a buoy.
14. To tend; to guard; to have in keeping.
get word, earn, observation tower, overhear, watch out, consume, continue, specify, surveillance, detect, look upon, decide, check up on, confront, trick, pale, con, maintain, train, go through, agree, succeed, image, draw, mold, control, escort, endure, surveil, remain, hear, turn back, enamor, pull in, come after, memorize, moderate, meet, learn, suck, discover, see to, soak up, tally, date, set, suck in, abide by, go over, minister to, go steady, read, picket, expect, careful, fascinate, instruct, figure, trip up, befool, settle, check off, outlook, comply, lodge, chequer, take up, shape, fit, care for, get, enchant, fancy, envision, sop up, collect, keep abreast, pick up, bide, observance, determine, repute, put one over, note, visualise, insure, correspond, discoverer, curb, take after, stay, lookout, observer, catch out, have, fool, guide, abide, consider, jibe, keep an eye on, celebrate, dupe, grab, understand, observatory, pathfinder, crack, beware, postdate, discipline, pump, larn, ticker, hold in, entrance, awareness, mention, interpret, check into, overtake, checker, get a line, eye, reside, vigilance, heart, lookout station, come, stock ticker, take to be, ensure, suss out, bewitch, anticipate, examine, put one across, wait, encounter, regulate, remark, acquire, tolerate, sojourn, pursue, invite, look into, visualize, look after, look at, think of, adopt, observation, keep, talent scout, trance, square off, travel along, take, fall out, gather in, guardian, notice, assure, keep up, esteem, fix, conform to, attention, watchman, tarry, hold, retard, limit, bring in, sentry, take note, clear, take care, absorb, get wind, look out, be, hunter, hold back, live, memorise, honour, check out, patrol, scout, capture, teach, catch up with, run across, follow, square up, rest, stick with, reckon, captivate, trace, finder, tend, inhabit, gull, beguile, charm, be on the lookout, influence, becharm, take hold of, hitch, receive, realize, make, construe, enamour, spotter, check, take in, project, suck up, run into, break, come across, be on guard, stop, gain, watch over, keep an eye peeled, find out, picture, visit, gibe, dwell, realise, check over, sentinel, await, define, sleepiness, assimilate, mark, shift, catch, tick off, regard as, cod, play along, ascertain, accompany, vigil, contain, lookout man, ingest, honor, condition, respect, slang, neglect, arrest, piquet, experience, stick to, observation post, match, survey, mark off, see to it, tick, go out, espouse, find, make up one's mind, look on, delay, imbibe, guard, put on, bear
chronometer (part of speech: noun)
observe (part of speech: verb)
see (part of speech: verb)
heed (part of speech: verb)
- We would keep watch all the time and run when we saw Evangeline coming. - "Miss Theodosia's Heartstrings", Annie Hamilton Donnell.
- Morgan looked at his watch. - "A Tar-Heel Baron", Mabell Shippie Clarke Pelton.
- Did they say they were going to watch all night? - "The Girl Aviators' Motor Butterfly", Margaret Burnham.