Definition of wax :
1. A fatty, solid substance, produced by bees, and employed by them in the construction of their comb; -- usually called beeswax. It is first excreted, from a row of pouches along their sides, in the form of scales, which, being masticated and mixed with saliva, become whitened and tenacious. Its natural color is pale or dull yellow.
2. A substance similar to beeswax, secreted by several species of scale insects, as the Chinese wax. See insect, below.
3. A substance, somewhat resembling wax, found in connection with certain deposits of rock salt and coal; - called also mineral wax, and ozocerite.
4. A waxlike composition used by shoemakers for rubbing their thread.
5. A waxlike composition used for uniting surfaces, for excluding air, and for other purposes; as, sealing wax, grafting wax, etching wax, etc.
6. A waxlike product secreted by certain plants. See Vegetable wax, under Vegetable.
7. Cerumen, or earwax.
8. Hence, any substance resembling beeswax in consistency or appearance.
9. Thick sirup made by boiling down the sap of the sugar maple, and then cooling.
10. To increase in size; to grow bigger; to become larger or fuller; - opposed to wane.
11. To pass from one state to another; to become; to grow; as, to wax strong; to wax warmer or colder; to wax feeble; to wax old; to wax worse and worse.
12. To smear or rub with wax; to treat with wax; as, to wax a thread or a table.
spring up, run up, climb up, boost, jump, oxocerite, develop, stand up, surface, earwax, escalate, come, sealing wax, rear, expand, resurrect, prove, build, multiply, beef up, furniture polish, jump on, resin, put on, originate, get, cerumen, soar, beeswax, rebel, ascend, increase, lift, upsurge, swell, climb on, floor wax, get up, turn out, grow, candelilla, turn, burgeon, build up, go up, aggrandize, ride, move up, carnauba, extend, get on, rise, hop on, heighten, rise up, honeycomb, arise, lanolin, spermaceti, petroleum jelly, proliferate, come up, climb, automobile wax, bestride, petrolatum, magnify, enlarge, mount, snowball, mount up, full, augment, become, change, uprise, amplify
- He spoke too loud, I thought, on the common stair: but I forgot all that when I came into the room that was already lighted with a pair of wax candles and set eyes on my Cousin Dorothy, who stood up as we came in, still in her riding- dress, with her whip and gloves on the table. - "Oddsfish!", Robert Hugh Benson.
- " Mr. Dalmain, here is a letter, sealed with scarlet wax. - "The Rosary", Florence L. Barclay.
- The quarrel continued to wax louder and more violent, with true Italian fury. - "Weird Tales. Vol. I", E. T. A. Hoffmann.