Definition of wear:
- A dam in a river to stop and raise the water, for the purpose of conducting it to a mill, forming a fish pond, or the like.
- A fence of stakes, brushwood, or the like, set in a stream, tideway, or inlet of the sea, for taking fish.
- A long notch with a horizontal edge, as in the top of a vertical plate or plank, through which water flows, - used in measuring the quantity of flowing water.
- Same as Weir.
- The act of wearing, or the state of being worn; consumption by use; diminution by friction; as, the wear of a garment.
- The result of wearing or use; consumption, diminution, or impairment due to use, friction, or the like; as, the wear of this coat has been good.
- The thing worn; style of dress; the fashion.
- To be wasted, consumed, or diminished, by being used; to suffer injury, loss, or extinction by use or time; to decay, or be spent, gradually.
- To carry or bear upon the person; to bear upon one's self, as an article of clothing, decoration, warfare, bondage, etc.; to have appendant to one's body; to have on; as, to wear a coat; to wear a shackle.
- To cause or make by friction or wasting; as, to wear a channel; to wear a hole.
- To cause to go about, as a vessel, by putting the helm up, instead of alee as in tacking, so that the vessel's bow is turned away from, and her stern is presented to, the wind, and, as she turns still farther, her sails fill on the other side; to veer.
- To endure or suffer use; to last under employment; to bear the consequences of use, as waste, consumption, or attrition; as, a coat wears well or ill; - hence, sometimes applied to character, qualifications, etc.; as, a man wears well as an acquaintance.
- To form or shape by, or as by, attrition.
- To have or exhibit an appearance of, as an aspect or manner; to bear; as, she wears a smile on her countenance.
- To impair, waste, or diminish, by continual attrition, scraping, percussion, on the like; to consume gradually; to cause to lower or disappear; to spend.
- To use up by carrying or having upon one's self; hence, to consume by use; to waste; to use up; as, to wear clothes rapidly.
labor, raid, suffer, enter, duds, tangle with, baggies, die, pall, have, put out, brave out, discover, behave, stretch forth, give birth, tire out, exploitation, wrap up, separate, eat, demolition, corrode, smash, article of clothing, pull on, yield, divulge, dilapidation, possess, crack, expose, drop, mark, combats, use, put up, toggery, turn out, violate, slump, intermit, tire, fall, take the rough with the smooth, fail, get around, have a bun in the oven, come apart, live on, expect, attack, havoc, give way, black tie, rags, get in, seize, put on, mar, take over, costumery, don, stick out, arrogate, drudge, put one across, go against, recrudesce, interrupt, habiliment, fall in, offend, better, take its toll, harm, comport, wearing apparel, erupt, extend, let on, dupe, gnaw, pay, wearing away, strike, conk out, diminish, fag out, infract, acquire, stomach, travail, hold out, impairment, beachwear, grow in, apparel, inroads of time, crumble, damp, conduct, breach, cave in, hold up, tend, fracture, let out, clobber, run down, support, weaken, stop, jade, wear thin, split, dwindle, operation, break off, rigging, clothes, burst, weary, tired, drain, go, take, loss, withstand, rate, sap, grin and bear it, seem, dig, tear, garments, carry, collapse, survive, dampen, put up with, brook, assume, part, shrink, develop, wear down, disfigure, vesture, fag, bristle with, weather, break up, devastation, bump, fool, rupture, damage, moil, gain, stand firm, eating away, threads, usurp, fall apart, live with, break in, bear up, check, take for granted, waste, decay, eroding, decline, wear and tear, turn in, injure, gull, decrease, erode, relegate, wear out, the ravages of something, endure, befool, stain, split up, break, try on, disappearance, usage, brave, deport, application, cover up, implementation, consumption, diminution, acquit, cod, stand, snap off, die hard, break down, adopt, discontinue, raiment, bust, presume, adoption, ruin, sabotage, birth, give, rig, hurt, live, get into, simulate, bear, break out, coordinates, apply, wearing, have on, get dressed, get out, slip into, togs, result of friction, hold, spoil, go into, kick downstairs, accept, reveal, contain, wear off, stretch out, prevail, bore, sham, corrosion, persist, wearables, labour, destruction, go in, fatigue, toil, crater, outwear, last, dip, break away, take on, vestments, mount, civvies, wear upon, bite, erosion, founder, disclose, gear, pause, feign, casuals, habit, bankrupt, tolerate, gestate, resign yourself (to something), run, wearable, exsert, deliver, soften, slang, go bad, unwrap, accessory, put one over, snap, transgress, weeds, abide, move into, black, play out, bring out, break-dance, take the bad with the good, wear away, take in, go to pieces, vestiary, digest, clothing, take up, give out, give away, demote, loss by friction, come in.
- chafe (part of speech: verb)
- fatigue (part of speech: verb)
- clothe (part of speech: verb)