Definition of wheel:
- A bicycle or a tricycle; a velocipede.
- A circular frame having handles on the periphery, and an axle which is so connected with the tiller as to form a means of controlling the rudder for the purpose of steering.
- A circular frame turning about an axis; a rotating disk, whether solid, or a frame composed of an outer rim, spokes or radii, and a central hub or nave, in which is inserted the axle, -- used for supporting and conveying vehicles, in machinery, and for various purposes; as, the wheel of a wagon, of a locomotive, of a mill, of a watch, etc.
- A firework which, while burning, is caused to revolve on an axis by the reaction of the escaping gases.
- A rolling or revolving body; anything of a circular form; a disk; an orb.
- A spinning wheel. See under Spinning.
- A turn revolution; rotation; compass.
- An instrument of torture formerly used.
- Any instrument having the form of, or chiefly consisting of, a wheel.
- The burden or refrain of a song.
- To change direction, as if revolving upon an axis or pivot; to turn; as, the troops wheeled to the right.
- To convey on wheels, or in a wheeled vehicle; as, to wheel a load of hay or wood.
- To go round in a circuit; to fetch a compass.
- To put into a rotatory motion; to cause to turn or revolve; to cause to gyrate; to make or perform in a circle.
- To roll forward.
- To turn on an axis, or as on an axis; to revolve; to more about; to rotate; to gyrate.
dash, roulette wheel, big cheese, motorcycle, kahuna, high-muck-a-muck, demister, disk, accelerator, cover, reel, kingpin, flange, hoop, big gun, nabob, auto, bike, pluck, rack, spin, repetition, heave, big, in charge, commute, undulate, bucket, go, jab, hitch, hitchhike, car, belt, big beast, big boy, wind, stray, round, inner tube, horseless carriage, recreation, geometry, drum, heavy hitter, zodiac, tandem, come up, defogger, cycle, big leaguer, rotation, cycle per second, vagabond, camshaft, apparatus, nawab, muckety-muck, fat cat, heavyweight, ride, grip, twirl, bald, big-timer, bearing, orb, merry-go-round, wander, rove, dimmer, cartwheel, cam, hub, roll, biggie, major leaguer, button, chamber, motor car, thrust aside, hustle, personage, drift, construction, contraption, array, celebrity, range, remould, ring, steering wheel, determination, swing, black box, pedal, gyration, shuttle, running, bus, roll out, big wheel, automaton, swirl, rhythm, shoulder, motorbike, motorcar, in control, carriage, strain, tramp, contrivance, seethe, wave, jar, cps, causality, causation, bucket seat, air bag, machine, wheel around, cultivation, flat, shove, circle, roll up, ramble, elicitation, dashboard, development, push, circulation, circumvolution, stand, roller, ball bearing, motor vehicle, circuit, automation, bigfoot, bigwig, twine, cause and effect, wrack, running things, cruise, thrust, automobile, engine, nibs, flap, bicycle, band, hubcap, pooh-bah, hertz, back seat, honcho, dynamo, cycles/second, swan, turn over, cast, ancillary, wrap, big shot, creation, radial, clunker, prod, revolution, oscillation, ratchet, roam, nob, motor, gyre, go down, wheels, heavy, single-foot, booster seat, kingfish, accouterments.
- "On With Torchy", Sewell Ford.
- "J. Poindexter, Colored", Irvin Shrewsbury Cobb.
- "The Bicyclers and Three Other Farces", John Kendrick Bangs.