Definition of whirlpool:
- A sea monster of the whale kind.
- An eddy or vortex of water; a place in a body of water where the water moves round in a circle so as to produce a depression or cavity in the center, into which floating objects may be drawn; any body of water having a more or less circular motion caused by its flowing in an irregular channel, by the coming together of opposing currents, or the like.
cascade, bayou, birl, battle, bustle, bight, undertow, crisis, douche, stress, cataract, calm, sough, gulf, shower, maelstrom, purl, backwater, flurry, tragedy, bottom, worst-case scenario, twiddle, dishpan, hell, vortex, branch, bath, undercurrent, rapids, spin around, bathtub, stir, whirl, gyrate, hot tub, whirl around, reel, convolution, basin, twirl, bidet, swirl, eddy, channel, confluence, mudbath, Scylla, tumble, spin, birl, ordeal, nightmare, bed, Jacuzzi, quagmire, trouble.
- "Furze the Cruel", John Trevena.
- "The Water-Witch or, The Skimmer of the Seas", James Fenimore Cooper.
- "The Planetoid of Peril", Paul Ernst.