Definition of widely :
1. In a wide manner; to a wide degree or extent; far; extensively; as, the gospel was widely disseminated by the apostles.
2. Very much; to a great degree or extent; as, to differ widely in opinion.
enormous, nationally, large, publicly, in many places, generalized, high, substantial, popularly, countrywide, scattered, great, worldwide, far-flung, astray, all over the place, extensive, wide, diffuse, generally, considerable, big, nationwide, ubiquitous, universally, widespread, huge, comprehensively, internationally
sizably (part of speech: adverb)
thickly (part of speech: adverb)
- Here Howard waited until his two companions came up with him; from here he pointed, sweeping his arm widely from north to east and south of east. - "The Desert Valley", Jackson Gregory.
- " The United States cover an immense extent of territory, and the inhabitants of different parts of the Union differ as widely in character, feelings, and even in appearance, as the people of different countries usually do. - "The Attache or, Sam Slick in England, Complete", Thomas Chandler Haliburton.
- While I stood looking at this formidable creature he made a quick motion to shut the door again, smiling more widely. - "Historical Romances: Under the Red Robe, Count Hannibal, A Gentleman of France", Stanley J. Weyman.