Definition of work :
1. Break; twist.
2. Exertion of strength or faculties; physical or intellectual effort directed to an end; industrial activity; toil; employment; sometimes, specifically, physically labor.
3. Hence, figuratively, to be effective; to have effect or influence; to conduce.
4. Hence, in a general sense, to operate; to act; to perform; as, a machine works well.
5. Manner of working; management; treatment; as, unskillful work spoiled the effect.
6. Performance of moral duties; righteous conduct.
7. Specifically: ( a) That which is produced by mental labor; a composition; a book; as, a work, or the works, of Addison. ( b) Flowers, figures, or the like, wrought with the needle; embroidery.
8. Structures in civil, military, or naval engineering, as docks, bridges, embankments, trenches, fortifications, and the like; also, the structures and grounds of a manufacturing establishment; as, iron works; locomotive works; gas works.
9. That which is produced as the result of labor; anything accomplished by exertion or toil; product; performance; fabric; manufacture; in a more general sense, act, deed, service, effect, result, achievement, feat.
10. The causing of motion against a resisting force, measured by the product of the force into the component of the motion resolved along the direction of the force.
11. The causing of motion against a resisting force. The amount of work is proportioned to, and is measured by, the product of the force into the amount of motion along the direction of the force. See Conservation of energy, under Conservation, Unit of work, under Unit, also Foot pound, Horse power, Poundal, and Erg.
12. The matter on which one is at work; that upon which one spends labor; material for working upon; subject of exertion; the thing occupying one; business; duty; as, to take up one's work; to drop one's work.
13. The moving parts of a mechanism; as, the works of a watch.
14. To act or operate on the stomach and bowels, as a cathartic.
15. To be in a state of severe exertion, or as if in such a state; to be tossed or agitated; to move heavily; to strain; to labor; as, a ship works in a heavy sea.
16. To carry on business; to be engaged or employed customarily; to perform the part of a laborer; to labor; to toil.
17. To cause to ferment, as liquor.
18. To exert one's self for a purpose; to put forth effort for the attainment of an object; to labor; to be engaged in the performance of a task, a duty, or the like.
19. To ferment, as a liquid.
20. To form with a needle and thread or yarn; especially, to embroider; as, to work muslin.
21. To influence by acting upon; to prevail upon; to manage; to lead.
22. To labor or operate upon; to give exertion and effort to; to prepare for use, or to utilize, by labor.
23. To make one's way slowly and with difficulty; to move or penetrate laboriously; to proceed with effort; - with a following preposition, as down, out, into, up, through, and the like; as, scheme works out by degrees; to work into the earth.
24. To produce by slow degrees, or as if laboriously; to bring gradually into any state by action or motion.
25. To produce or form by labor; to bring forth by exertion or toil; to accomplish; to originate; to effect; as, to work wood or iron into a form desired, or into a utensil; to work cotton or wool into cloth.
26. To set in motion or action; to direct the action of; to keep at work; to govern; to manage; as, to work a machine.
27. To work and press into a mass, usually with the hands; esp., to work, as by repeated pressure with the knuckles, into a well mixed mass, as the materials of bread, cake, etc.; as, to knead dough.
work at, buy the farm, purpose, take to the woods, core time, give, crop, course, dawdle, act as, devise, draw, calling, acetify, shunt, prick, entirety, piece of work, start, establish, kick the bucket, plow, undertaking, practise, lap, elaborate, lay down, develop, gain, diddle, proceed, pee-pee, pique, make believe, give-up the ghost, spirt, pass away, mint, cogitation, part, plough, elbow grease, sound, composition, blend in, pretend, take a leak, boob job, besiege, yield, expenditure, commitment, into operation, spur, endure, drop dead, budge, proceeding, puddle, model, add, feed, prevail, ready, get to, melt down, survive, hold out, drub, run for, wreak, realize, run short, home office, encounter, escape, workmanship, bailiwick, run away, come off, naturalise, stool, do work, belong, decease, hunt down, moil, cash in one's chips, hold up, maneuver, form, train, cast, add up, strain, drudgery, functioning, coal, unravel, break, ply, get going, extend, live, trouble, constitute, utilization, ease, scarper, toy, work on, put, rub down, land, volunteer, release, institute, ladder, flirt, come in, clear, organize, attain, accomplishment, exertion, action, cream, inspire, black market, swamp, change by reversal, depart, derrick, wager, movement, affect, fly the coop, induce, fit, bureau, control, turn tail, plump, litigate, exploit, collaboration, gasometer, work out, manhandle, double as, pull in, oeuvre, bleed, line, creation, crap, practice, drop back, come into play, go bad, stretch, tuck, crop circle, coal mining, score, literature, break away, playact, gallery, background, process, snip, set off, trail, wrench, overwork, usage, tap, cosmetic surgery, headquarters, naturalize, perish, shit, bear fruit, count, construct, written report, sum, prune, swear out, hold, spring, reckon, profession, words, track down, bet, dress, graze, build, realise, counterfeit, formulate, achievement, prod, corn, plastic surgeon, field of study, use, assembly, meander, take on, snuff it, coalfield, racket, take in, workplace, drill, industry, range, ca-ca, trade, prepare, race, crank, conk, run, transaction, building, turn, impart, run low, aggregate, thrash, figure out, roleplay, treat, home base, open up, domesticate, egg on, pass water, pains, flex, piece, impel, expire, head office, subject field, recreate, masonry, engagement, motivate, appointment, handiwork, clock off, go away, drama, take off, operation, capacity, invent, consort, whole, spend a penny, dally, fail, fill someone's shoes, carry, cypher, advance, end product, take a crap, foundry, produce, pasture, assemblage, push, utilisation, bat, organise, brickworks, flash, twist, output, manoeuver, figure, facelift, inflame, pass, mold, dissemble, defecate, lean, collaborate, tend, doing, pop off, head for the hills, urinate, blend, crawl, propel, general headquarters, performance, staff, move around, bestow, go, calculate, wrick, meet, hunt, tempt, attempt, incline, take, sour, rick, press for, slavery, cash crop, spurt, subject area, bend, strive, goldmine, lay, fake, grow, nose job, while, fiddle, sweat, obligation, earn, exit, clip, drive, piddle, work up, civilise, create, take shape, fag, division of labor, contrive, struggle, survey, blast furnace, operate on, FT, have, cut back, die, goad, art, provoke, business hours, determine, gross, nip and tuck, field, deed, sketch, be your own boss, drift, engage, collagen, mesh, office, base on, browse, manufactory, colliery, combine, clock-watching, place, croak, nominate, career, craftsmanship, reach, creep, back catalog, consummation, piss, sue, arable, eject, construction, cut in, throw, make up, conk out, production, go on, study, flextime, opus, straighten, hammer, business day, gold rush, travail, guide, bring out, lap up, HQ, regulate, actuate, clock in, cannery, tame, activity, rifle, estimate, chef d'oeuvre, mill, cooling tower, cover for, micturate, wee, exert, give way, arrive at, go after, progress to, prosper, shop, incite, make water, workshop, excite, opera, hightail it, overload, picture, discipline, try for, game, total, flick, manoeuvre, educate, lock, movie, number, vocation, prove, mould, become, trigger, music, works, energize, stress, melt, manufacture, fruit, be given, delegation, roll, interact, choke, come on, bunk, coax, travel, locomote, lend, spiel, cipher, mildew, position, die hard, fix, fall behind, assess, play, craft, make a difference, cultivated, heavy lifting, acidulate, resolve, body of work, Botox, lop, call, change state, everything, excogitate, fashion, stimulate, foment, prompt, title, effect, wee-wee, transfer, lick, affair, relieve oneself, lead, bring, reshape, take effect, dress-down day, shape up, massage, take form, feat, instigate, challenge, development, deform, call on, pursuit, occupy, thing, canon, march, school, make, curl, artwork, motion, break down, convey, cook, fine art, influence, touch off, cope, activate, put to work, business, bring in, fetch, conflict diamonds, sprain, boatyard, keep someone busy, impact, act upon, execution, crop rotation, galvanize, get, coal mine, factory, charm, contribute, flow, seduce, trim, product, live on, care, coal miner, all, project, plant, forge, persist, employ, plastic surgery, try, clobber, puzzle out, cultivate, knead, give out, ferment, pee, totality, hit, name, acidify, lam, push for, scat, fortification, erection, last, cause, make for, represent, trifle, gasholder, imprint, take a shit, dedication, reverse, shape, campaign, solve, trial, civilize, compute, subject, turn over
book (part of speech: noun)
catalog, index, handbook, monograph, chapter, booklet, list, volume, novel, magazine, play book, treatise, folio, log, chronicle, insert, serial, manual, script, compendium, record, book, pamphlet, report, tome, verse, tract, brochure, publication, textbook, leaflet, libretto
act (part of speech: verb)
serve (part of speech: verb)
work (part of speech: verb)
working (part of speech: verb)
- Work while 'tis called 'to- day. - "The Emigrant Mechanic and Other Tales In Verse Together With Numerous Songs Upon Canadian Subjects", Thomas Cowherd.
- I am going to give him work. - "The Bobbsey Twins in the Great West", Laura Lee Hope.
- But for some reason Mr. Clode could do no work. - "The New Rector", Stanley J. Weyman.