Definition of work:
- Break; twist.
- Exertion of strength or faculties; physical or intellectual effort directed to an end; industrial activity; toil; employment; sometimes, specifically, physically labor.
- Hence, figuratively, to be effective; to have effect or influence; to conduce.
- Hence, in a general sense, to operate; to act; to perform; as, a machine works well.
- Manner of working; management; treatment; as, unskillful work spoiled the effect.
- Performance of moral duties; righteous conduct.
- Specifically: ( a) That which is produced by mental labor; a composition; a book; as, a work, or the works, of Addison. ( b) Flowers, figures, or the like, wrought with the needle; embroidery.
- Structures in civil, military, or naval engineering, as docks, bridges, embankments, trenches, fortifications, and the like; also, the structures and grounds of a manufacturing establishment; as, iron works; locomotive works; gas works.
- That which is produced as the result of labor; anything accomplished by exertion or toil; product; performance; fabric; manufacture; in a more general sense, act, deed, service, effect, result, achievement, feat.
- The causing of motion against a resisting force, measured by the product of the force into the component of the motion resolved along the direction of the force.
- The causing of motion against a resisting force. The amount of work is proportioned to, and is measured by, the product of the force into the amount of motion along the direction of the force. See Conservation of energy, under Conservation, Unit of work, under Unit, also Foot pound, Horse power, Poundal, and Erg.
- The matter on which one is at work; that upon which one spends labor; material for working upon; subject of exertion; the thing occupying one; business; duty; as, to take up one's work; to drop one's work.
- The moving parts of a mechanism; as, the works of a watch.
- To act or operate on the stomach and bowels, as a cathartic.
- To be in a state of severe exertion, or as if in such a state; to be tossed or agitated; to move heavily; to strain; to labor; as, a ship works in a heavy sea.
- To carry on business; to be engaged or employed customarily; to perform the part of a laborer; to labor; to toil.
- To cause to ferment, as liquor.
- To exert one's self for a purpose; to put forth effort for the attainment of an object; to labor; to be engaged in the performance of a task, a duty, or the like.
- To ferment, as a liquid.
- To form with a needle and thread or yarn; especially, to embroider; as, to work muslin.
- To influence by acting upon; to prevail upon; to manage; to lead.
- To labor or operate upon; to give exertion and effort to; to prepare for use, or to utilize, by labor.
- To make one's way slowly and with difficulty; to move or penetrate laboriously; to proceed with effort; - with a following preposition, as down, out, into, up, through, and the like; as, scheme works out by degrees; to work into the earth.
- To produce by slow degrees, or as if laboriously; to bring gradually into any state by action or motion.
- To produce or form by labor; to bring forth by exertion or toil; to accomplish; to originate; to effect; as, to work wood or iron into a form desired, or into a utensil; to work cotton or wool into cloth.
- To set in motion or action; to direct the action of; to keep at work; to govern; to manage; as, to work a machine.
- To work and press into a mass, usually with the hands; esp., to work, as by repeated pressure with the knuckles, into a well mixed mass, as the materials of bread, cake, etc.; as, to knead dough.
expenditure, spirt, discipline, cause, run for, interact, pop off, development, production, build, imprint, movie, part, run short, diddle, bailiwick, cut in, employ, break down, become, bat, coalfield, make up, trail, cogitation, choke, division of labor, lam, cover for, ply, work up, score, scarper, count, swamp, boob job, written report, volunteer, employment, clock off, push, cut back, snuff it, goldmine, drive, run, all, profession, fake, attain, arrive at, tempt, create, lap up, trim, sweat, business hours, deed, mint, propel, endure, depart, actuate, piece, change state, take off, range, opus, be given, arable, take form, micturate, conk, craft, break, workplace, march, combine, hold out, hold up, last, lay down, stimulate, workshop, take on, solve, subject area, whole, egg on, engagement, roll, transfer, die hard, entirety, turn, sum, acetify, model, exploit, spur, cultivate, hold, establish, survive, sour, drudgery, inflame, blend in, end product, prove, reckon, consort, challenge, craftsmanship, persist, manufacture, handiwork, make believe, break away, devise, tame, sue, set off, pee, litigate, ready, school, crank, project, contribute, general headquarters, wrench, plastic surgeon, organize, decease, trigger, pee-pee, compute, strive, seduce, fix, impact, shape, eject, press for, lop, flow, engage, business day, make water, formulate, instigate, energize, dedication, overwork, expire, deform, bend, flirt, business, meet, prevail, come into play, gallery, trouble, oeuvre, thrash, fiddle, naturalize, figure, buy the farm, graze, earn, dress-down day, cipher, galvanize, Botox, tap, produce, educate, coal, pasture, organise, escape, course, crop, flex, plow, extend, FT, mesh, conk out, feed, realize, drop back, get to, facelift, crap, go bad, coal mining, come on, performance, factory, roleplay, aggregate, control, take in, act as, train, represent, title, reach, picture, head for the hills, clear, achievement, budge, spurt, piece of work, strain, bring out, affair, incline, delegation, nip and tuck, mildew, purpose, cook, campaign, boatyard, change by reversal, construct, cultivated, bet, fly the coop, slavery, business, use, convey, straighten, stretch, sketch, bestow, composition, industry, fashion, blend, acidify, career, product, cope, reverse, live on, drill, determine, bear fruit, line, go on, chef d'oeuvre, construction, estimate, calling, take effect, call on, utilisation, struggle, perish, push for, fetch, plastic surgery, track down, fail, nominate, work at, take a shit, resolve, mill, add, invent, tuck, tend, domesticate, canon, work on, make a difference, practise, flick, take shape, cooling tower, cash in one's chips, besiege, flash, sprain, touch off, blast furnace, give way, carry, try, manoeuver, nose job, cosmetic surgery, study, survey, gasometer, belong, collagen, cannery, clobber, prepare, cream, while, drift, coax, impel, go away, execution, fag, position, home office, ca-ca, foment, come off, hammer, civilise, wreak, conflict diamonds, dissemble, ferment, act, take a crap, travail, cast, unravel, open up, feat, crawl, masonry, rub down, hunt, playact, hit, care, reshape, profession, activity, subject, collaboration, constitute, undertaking, naturalise, goad, vocation, bleed, lead, drama, core time, workmanship, bring, clock in, swear out, headquarters, run low, body of work, bunk, creation, try for, racket, encounter, base on, relieve oneself, stool, influence, lap, lick, capacity, dawdle, induce, prune, ease, drop dead, grow, overload, browse, institute, massage, appointment, cash crop, spend a penny, go, shop, subject field, make, spring, activate, gain, functioning, plant, mould, colliery, fine art, lock, trial, travel, pretend, assess, plump, assemblage, advance, provoke, pass, commitment, pique, live, attempt, prompt, occupy, ladder, derrick, urinate, wrick, mold, affect, exercise, effect, transaction, bring in, place, function, operate on, puddle, lay, lean, meander, work out, land, hunt down, words, add up, practice, clock-watching, manufactory, consummation, exit, office, fit, civilize, prosper, turn over, into operation, prick, forge, proceeding, fruit, keep someone busy, do work, act upon, dally, elaborate, take a leak, gross, movement, defecate, black market, field, curl, give, field of study, building, hightail it, gold rush, corn, locomote, moil, opera, motivate, drub, scat, counterfeit, collaborate, accomplishment, crop circle, output, throw, kick the bucket, snip, race, game, knead, give out, croak, recreate, elbow grease, put to work, brickworks, piss, fill someone's shoes, operation, wager, usage, thing, turn tail, acidulate, cypher, treat, head office, foundry, charm, flextime, double as, toy, dress, shunt, artwork, move around, fall behind, wee-wee, crop rotation, lend, twist, piddle, melt, trade, gasholder, trade, clip, impart, bureau, prod, excogitate, contrive, get going, assembly, music, plough, go after, doing, background, action, yield, give-up the ghost, number, manhandle, call, trifle, guide, utilization, rifle, regulate, make for, pass water, puzzle out, motion, HQ, totality, get, stress, calculate, play, operate, die, wee, erection, pull in, exert, develop, inspire, have, pass away, exertion, form, come in, name, pains, release, shit, start, pursuit, figure out, craft, take, progress to, incite, art, manoeuvre, sound, put, coal miner, take to the woods, back catalog, heavy lifting, total, coal mine, be your own boss, everything, fortification, rick, shape up, run away, maneuver, spiel, creep, melt down, realise, process, excite, works, home base, draw, staff, literature, obligation, proceed.
- book (part of speech: noun)
- act (part of speech: verb)
- serve (part of speech: verb)
- work (part of speech: verb)
- working (part of speech: verb)
- "The Emigrant Mechanic and Other Tales In Verse Together With Numerous Songs Upon Canadian Subjects", Thomas Cowherd.
- "The Bobbsey Twins in the Great West", Laura Lee Hope.
- "The New Rector", Stanley J. Weyman.