Definition of write:
- Hence, to compose or produce, as an author.
- To be regularly employed or occupied in writing, copying, or accounting; to act as clerk or amanuensis; as, he writes in one of the public offices.
- To compose or send letters.
- To form characters, letters, or figures, as representative of sounds or ideas; to express words and sentences by written signs.
- To frame or combine ideas, and express them in written words; to play the author; to recite or relate in books; to compose.
- To impress durably; to imprint; to engrave; as, truth written on the heart.
- To make known by writing; to record; to prove by one's own written testimony; - often used reflexively.
- To set down for reading; to express in legible or intelligible characters; to inscribe; as, to write a deed; to write a bill of divorcement; hence, specifically, to set down in an epistle; to communicate by letter.
- To set down, as legible characters; to form the conveyance of meaning; to inscribe on any material by a suitable instrument; as, to write the characters called letters; to write figures.
publish, put out, salve, carry through, spell out, hold open, lay aside, remember, save, draft, bring out, letter, compose, scrawl, indite, words, economize, scribe, deliver, frame, drop a line, engross, economise, sign, pull through, print, import, spell, salvage, dash off, make, spare, issue, turn out, autograph, inscribe, bring through, keep open, knock off, reproduce, address, compile, release, save up, preserve, pen, typewrite, go into, produce, create, make unnecessary, keep, communicate, relieve, scribble, draw up, redeem, set forth.