Definition of yarn:
- A story told by a sailor for the amusement of his companions; a story or tale; as, to spin a yarn.
- One of the threads of which the strands of a rope are composed.
- Spun wool; woolen thread; also, thread of other material, as of cotton, flax, hemp, or silk; material spun and prepared for use in weaving, knitting, manufacturing sewing thread, or the like.
- filament (part of speech: noun)
- prose (part of speech: noun)
For truth to tell, I am not a bit proud, but just a good- natured chap that has decided to spin a sea- yarn for the amusement, and I hope the instruction, it may be, of young Folks, being perfectly willing the older Folks should hear it, too, if they like.- "Lord Dolphin", Harriet A. Cheever.
- "Smoke Bellew", Jack London.
- "The Blind Lion of the Congo", Elliott Whitney.