Definition of abnegation:
- confutation (part of speech: noun)
annulment (part of speech: noun)
- renunciation (part of speech: noun)
- sobriety (part of speech: noun)
- temperance (part of speech: noun)
Nor can this collective effort be blessed, to the fullest extent possible, unless the contributions made by its members involve acts of self- abnegation, not only on the part of those of modest means, but also by those endowed with substantial resources.- "Citadel of Faith", Shoghi Effendi.
But while the Professor grew more and more half- hearted in his protestations that he really didn't care where he went, Mrs. Marshall grew more and more positive that he must not be allowed to miss the music, finally silencing his last weak proffer of self- abnegation by saying peremptorily: No, no, Elliott; go on in to your debauch of emotion.- "The Bent Twig", Dorothy Canfield.
- "The Passionate Elopement", Compton Mackenzie.