Definition of estimate:
- A valuing or rating by the mind, without actually measuring, weighing, or the like; rough or approximate calculation; as, an estimate of the cost of a building, or of the quantity of water in a pond.
- To from an opinion of, as to amount, number, etc., from imperfect data, comparison, or experience; to make an estimate of; to calculate roughly; to rate; as, to estimate the cost of a trip, the number of feet in a piece of land.
- To judge and form an opinion of the value of, from imperfect data, -- either the extrinsic ( money), or intrinsic ( moral), value; to fix the worth of roughly or in a general way; as, to estimate the value of goods or land; to estimate the worth or talents of a person.
omen, pass judgment, judgment, size up, melodic theme, picture, cast, fancy, put, view, foretell, deem, prognosticate, count on, guesstimate, look, pro forma invoice, imagine, estimation, come close, judgment, idea, visualize, regard, gauge, approximation, conjecture, mind, fix, assay, hazard, prove, sum up, appraisement, adjudicate, opine, foreshadow, pretend, see, billing, rating, pronounce, a stab in the dark, place, direct, augur, image, overestimate, reckoning, bringing close together, valuate, speculation, depend, label, mensuration, auspicate, forecast, precise, envision, work out, invoice, prefigure, appraisal, bode, assessment, predict, guesswork, guess, visualise, bet, thought, project, number, aim, judge, musical theme, cipher, bill of exchange, venture, set, valuation, enter, bill of sale, value judgment, add up, cypher, portend, theme, approximate, presage, betoken, try.
calculate (part of speech: verb)
- measurement (part of speech: noun)
- measure (part of speech: verb)
In this estimate of his case Ben Trench was wrong.- "Philosopher Jack", R.M. Ballantyne.
You- And if you should follow me there, Vivian's estimate of us will not be so far out of the way as we'd like to make it.- "The Hollow of Her Hand", George Barr McCutcheon.
Now in 1882 he seems to have determined to declare himself, in a large, free way, concerning his own personal estimate of Mark Twain.- "Mark Twain, A Biography, 1835-1910, Complete The Personal And Literary Life Of Samuel Langhorne Clemens", Albert Bigelow Paine Last Updated: February 20, 2009.