Definition of side:
- A line of descent traced through one parent as distinguished from that traced through another.
- A slope or declivity, as of a hill, considered as opposed to another slope over the ridge.
- Any outer portion of a thing considered apart from, and yet in relation to, the rest; as, the upper side of a sphere; also, any part or position viewed as opposite to or contrasted with another; as, this or that side.
- Fig.: Aspect or part regarded as contrasted with some other; as, the bright side of poverty.
- Hence, indirect; oblique; collateral; incidental; as, a side issue; a side view or remark.
- Long; large; extensive.
- One of the halves of the body, of an animals or man, on either side of the mesial plane; or that which pertains to such a half; as, a side of beef; a side of sole leather.
- The margin, edge, verge, or border of a surface; especially ( when the thing spoken of is somewhat oblong in shape), one of the longer edges as distinguished from the shorter edges, called ends; a bounding line of a geometrical figure; as, the side of a field, of a square or triangle, of a river, of a road, etc.
- The position of a person or party regarded as opposed to another person or party, whether as a rival or a foe; a body of advocates or partisans; a party; hence, the interest or cause which one maintains against another; a doctrine or view opposed to another.
- The right or left part of the wall or trunk of the body; as, a pain in the side.
- To be or stand at the side of; to be on the side toward.
- To embrace the opinions of one party, or engage in its interest, in opposition to another party; to take sides; as, to side with the ministerial party.
- To furnish with a siding; as, to side a house.
- To lean on one side.
- To suit; to pair; to match.
- To work ( a timber or rib) to a certain thickness by trimming the sides.
font, ramp, stead, slope, case, angle, look, lieu, incline, expression, aspect, grimace, surface, light, post, broadside, added, berth, nerve, sidewise, stance, regard, gradient, incident, status, facet, locating, situation, view, facial expression, indirect, roundabout, typeface, off to the side, respect, phase, superficial, billet, part, attitude, placement, sidelong, spot, skin, position, positioning, sideways, perspective, off center, sheathe, pull, english, brass, clad, human face, emplacement, posture, face, military position, go with, incidental, off the main, place, lateral, frame of reference, by a devious way, bye, not the main, root, fount, spatial relation, side of meat, boldness, office, location, cover, cheek, by, oblique, hand.
- edge (part of speech: noun)
- side (part of speech: noun)
- lateral (part of speech: adjective)