Definition of pessimism:
- expectation (part of speech: noun)
- doubt (part of speech: verb)
- hopelessness (part of speech: noun)
Perhaps, however, in the last analysis optimism and pessimism are subjective- the expression of temperament or individual experience, since the facts of life are the same, whether seen through Schopenhauer's eyes or through Emerson's.- "Brief History of English and American Literature", Henry A. Beers.
- "The Case of Richard Meynell", Mrs. Humphrey Ward.
- "The Allied Countries and the Jews", Hyman Gerson Enelow.