Definition of earing :
1. A line fastening the corners of an awning to the rigging or stanchions.
2. A line for hauling the reef cringle to the yard; - also called reef earing.
3. A line used to fasten the upper corners of a sail to the yard or gaff; - also called head earing.
4. A plowing of land.
5. Coming into ear, as corn.
6. of Ear
- It's a hard life, the sea, and Sam here'll bear me out when I say that bein' hit on the head with a belayin' pin while tryin' to pick up the weather earing is an experience that no man wants twice. - "The Magic Pudding", Norman Lindsay.
- And yet, Earing, with all this press of canvas, by the compass we have not left her a foot. - "The Red Rover", James Fenimore Cooper.
- In the mean time, Earing proceeded steadily to perform what he had just promised. - "The Red Rover", James Fenimore Cooper.