Definition of labial:
- A letter or character representing an articulation or sound formed or uttered chiefly with the lips, as b, p, w.
- An organ pipe that is furnished with lips; a flue pipe.
- Articulated, as a consonant, mainly by the lips, as b, p, m, w.
- Furnished with lips; as, a labial organ pipe.
- Modified, as a vowel, by contraction of the lip opening, as ( fd), ( ld), etc., and as eu and u in French, and o, u in German. See Guide to Pronunciation, 11, 178.
- Of or pertaining to the labium; as, the labial palpi of insects. See Labium.
- Of or pertaining to the lips or labia; as, labial veins.
- One of the scales which border the mouth of a fish or reptile.
epiglottis, affricate, aspirate, agape, gargle, consonant, assonance, corner, Adam's apple, alveolar, closed syllable, dribble, froth, labial consonant, dry, bilabial, aspiration, close vowel, gingivitis, furry.
His thirty years in Holy Orders had slightly hardened an originally luscious Dublin brogue, but there remained a certain gentle aspiration of the d's and t's, and a tendency to omit the labial consonants altogether.- "Hyacinth 1906", George A. Birmingham.
- "Manual of Surgery Volume Second: Extremities--Head--Neck. Sixth Edition.", Alexander Miles Alexis Thomson.
- "Gigolo", Edna Ferber.