Definition of augury :
1. A rite, ceremony, or observation of an augur.
2. An omen; prediction; prognostication; indication of the future; presage.
3. The art or practice of foretelling events by observing the actions of birds, etc.; divination.
omen (part of speech: noun)
sorcery (part of speech: noun)
prediction (part of speech: noun)
- She was hardly herself yet, but privately I think she was worrying about the broken mirror and its augury, more than anything else. - "The Circular Staircase", Mary Roberts Rinehart.
- I believe it is an augury that I shall die soon." - "Weird Tales. Vol. I", E. T. A. Hoffmann.
- For the first time the living circle of dusky braves gave way, and all able to do so crowded round the sorcerer, who with fixed and straining eyes was staring at the masses of bones lying here and there, from the position of which the augury was to be drawn. - "The Ruined Cities of Zululand", Hugh Mulleneux Walmsley.