Definition of taster :
1. One of a peculiar kind of zooids situated on the polyp- stem of certain Siphonophora. They somewhat resemble the feeding zooids, but are destitute of mouths. See Siphonophora.
2. One who tastes; especially, one who first tastes food or drink to ascertain its quality.
3. That in which, or by which, anything is tasted, as, a dram cup, a cheese taster, or the like.
fragment, evaluator, monitor, a bit, sample, tastetester, regulator, a little, taste-tester, inspector, sampler, bit, hint, sampling station, fraction, serviceperson, quality controller, tester, trace, piece
- Out of pure vexation he remained without eating, and out of pure politeness Sancho did not venture to touch a morsel of what was before him, but waited for his master to act as taster. - "The History of Don Quixote, Volume II., Complete", Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra.
- I'd rather be first taster. - "The Varmint", Owen Johnson F. R. Gruger.
- He accompanied his master in his wanderings, and of his way of life we have the following sketches: I made him, says Le Vaillant, my taster. - "Illustrative Anecdotes of the Animal Kingdom", Samuel Griswold Goodrich.