Definition of broccoli :
1. A genus of plants embracing several species and varieties differing much in appearance and qualities: such as the common cabbage ( B. oleracea), broccoli, cauliflowers, etc.; the wild turnip ( B. campestris); the common turnip ( B. rapa); the rape or coleseed ( B. napus), etc.
2. A plant of the Cabbage species ( Brassica oleracea) of many varieties, resembling the cauliflower. The curd, or flowering head, is the part used for food.
brassica oleracea italica
vegetable (part of speech: noun)
sweet potato, green beans, cabbage, radish, peas, pepper, mushroom, carrot, chard, turnip, onion, spinach, leek, cauliflower, squash, yam, celery, vegetable, zucchini, romain, lentils, rice, Brussels sprouts, tomato, collard greens, chive, eggplant, string beans, okra, beet, parsley, rutabaga, shallot, pumpkin, potato, lettuce, maize, Lima beans, artichoke, endive, asparagus, corn, parsnip, water cress, beans, cucumber
vegetables (part of speech: noun)
cucumbers, zucchinis, artichokes, carrots, turnips, onions, potatoes, endives, squashes, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, chives, parsnips, eggplants, beets, pumpkins, peppers, rutabagas, shallots, tomatoes, radishes, leeks, vegetables, cabbages, okras, yams
- Broccoli is cooked in nearly all cases precisely as cauliflower. - "The Cauliflower", A. A. Crozier.
- In a newly- turned field beyond a man and a boy were planting young broccoli; they worked with the swiftness and smoothness of a machine, the man making a succession of holes with his spud as he walked along, the boy dropping in the plants on the instant. - "Secret Bread", F. Tennyson Jesse.
- What it does not say is that some broccoli samples contain only half that amount or even less, while other broccoli contains two or three times that amount. - "How and When to Be Your Own Doctor", Dr. Isabelle A. Moser with Steve Solomon.