Definition of misrepresent :
1. To make an incorrect or untrue representation.
2. To represent incorrectly ( almost always, unfacorably); to give a false erroneous representation of, either maliciously, ignirantly, or carelessly.
give a false coloring to, make, control, cook, skirt, talk through one's hat, pull wires, dodge, evade, misstate, ready, lie, manage, duck, understate, wrench, elude, pervert, wrest, manipulate, negate, fudge, contradict, load, fix, finagle, interpolate, color, put off, circumvent, rig, wangle, embroider, belie, warp, parry, pull strings, prepare, alter, keep in line, bull, forge, sidestep, true, bullshit, hedge
misinterpret (part of speech: verb)
misteach (part of speech: verb)
misrepresent (part of speech: verb)
- If I represented it as surly or undignified, I should misrepresent it grossly. - "America To-day, Observations and Reflections", William Archer.
- In respect to the legends about dragons, I am persuaded that the antients sometimes did wilfully misrepresent things, in order to increase the wonder. - "A New System; or, an Analysis of Antient Mythology. Volume II. (of VI.)", Jacob Bryant.
- Don't misrepresent me, and say that I teach all of one, and none of the other. - "Godliness", Catherine Booth.