Definition of wield:
- To direct or regulate by influence or authority; to manage; to control; to sway.
- To govern; to rule; to keep, or have in charge; also, to possess.
- To use with full command or power, as a thing not too heavy for the holder; to manage; to handle; hence, to use or employ; as, to wield a sword; to wield the scepter.
used, grapple, carry off, supervise, plow, preserve, manage, conserve, cover, put out, observe, control, hold, contend, manipulate, handle, cope, throw, maintain, treat, keep, sustain, care, cause, defend, deal, finagle, ply, negociate, bring off, oversee, uphold, wangle, superintend, pull off, keep up, make out, make do, address, get by, assert, do, palm, exert, asseverate, do by.
- "Sketches of Reforms and Reformers, of Great Britain and Ireland", Henry B. Stanton.
- "Specimens with Memoirs of the Less-known British Poets, Vol. 3", George Gilfillan.
Of course those interests that can employ the greatest number of these congressional brokers, and wield the greatest influence throughout the country, are in the best shape to secure favorable legislation.- "Monopolies and the People", D. C. Cloud.