Definition of figurative:
- Abounding in figures of speech; flowery; florid; as, a highly figurative description.
- Relating to the representation of form or figure by drawing, carving, etc. See Figure, n., 2.
- Representing by a figure, or by resemblance; typical; representative.
- Used in a sense that is tropical, as a metaphor; not literal; - applied to words and expressions.
- "Slips of Speech", John H. Bechtel.
The figurative meaning, however, seems more suited to the style and the manner of this book; and in this sense it denotes a company of persons, of the spirit and character of Jezebel, within the church under one principal deceiver.- "The Woman's Bible Part I. Comments on Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. Part II. Comments on the Old and New Testaments from Joshua to Revelation.", Elizabeth Cady Stanton.
- "Flowers from a Persian Garden and Other Papers", W. A. Clouston.