Definition of florid:
- Bright in color; flushed with red; of a lively reddish color; as, a florid countenance.
- Covered with flowers; abounding in flowers; flowery.
- Embellished with flowers of rhetoric; enriched to excess with figures; excessively ornate; as, a florid style; florid eloquence.
- Flowery; ornamental; running in rapid melodic figures, divisions, or passages, as in variations; full of fioriture or little ornamentations.
cherry-red, ruby-red, ruby, sanguine, reddish, colors, golden, scarlet, ruddy, flamboyant, flushed, gold, rosy, blooming, blood-red, fancy, crimson, plain, showy, gilt, cherry, carmine, flush, full-blooded, aureate, glowing, red, cerise, rubicund.
- colorful (part of speech: adjective)
- ornately spoken or written (part of speech: adjective)
- "Man and Wife", Wilkie Collins.
- "Abroad with the Jimmies", Lilian Bell.
- "Project Gutenberg History of The Netherlands, 1555-1623, Complete", John Lothrop Motley.