Definition of legible :
1. Capable of being discovered or understood by apparent marks or indications; as, the thoughts of men are often legible in their countenances.
2. Capable of being read or deciphered; distinct to the eye; plain; - used of writing or printing; as, a fair, legible manuscript.
intelligible (part of speech: adjective)
- The photograph was old and faded, and the written inscription beneath it was scarcely legible. - "The Marx He Knew", John Spargo.
- Yes, or nearly so, the writing growing more legible all the time. - "Master Tales of Mystery, Volume 3", Collected and Arranged by Francis J. Reynolds.
- It read " the eighth," and though Marie's handwriting was scrawly and not very legible, the figure eight was large and plain. - "Patty's Suitors", Carolyn Wells.