Definition of pelf :
1. A genus of plants embracing several species and varieties differing much in appearance and qualities: such as the common cabbage ( B. oleracea), broccoli, cauliflowers, etc.; the wild turnip ( B. campestris); the common turnip ( B. rapa); the rape or coleseed ( B. napus), etc.
2. Money; riches; lucre; gain; - generally conveying the idea of something ill- gotten or worthless. It has no plural.
lettuce, pillage, swag, chou, net, dirty money, cash, green, jack, scratching, affluence, profits, sugar, lucre, gold, ice lolly, dinero, gelt, lollipop, borecole, fortune, change, needful, prick, starting line, net profit, currency, chicken feed, start, bucks, peag, scrape, wealth, cultivated cabbage, moola, shekels, spoils, rich, scar, refined sugar, treasure, bread, chips, riches, popsicle, lolly, wampum, dough, wampumpeag, gain, stops, slit, abrasion, scrawl, breadstuff, clams, scribble, mammon, net income, cabbage, scratch, prize, simoleons, boodle, legal tender, scratch line, kale, moolah, kail, scraping, profit, cacography, staff of life, coin, mark, plunder, owned, tender, saccharide, earnings, booty, money, excoriation, dent, loot, cole, colewort, incision, carbohydrate, long green
- " I have not done this," he sobbed, " for power or pelf. - "History of the United Netherlands, 1586-89, Vol. II. Complete", John Lothrop Motley Last Updated: February 7, 2009.
- 11 I love my neighbour as myself, Myself like him too, by his leave; Nor to his pleasure, power, or pelf, Came I to crouch, as I conceive: Dame Nature doubtless has designed A man the monarch of his mind. - "Specimens with Memoirs of the Less-known British Poets, Vol. 3", George Gilfillan.
- They seized with daring guile on rank and pelf, And swore that they would never bend a knee Unto the king: they robbed the Church herself: They stole our princes' lands, and o'er the sea They packed those princes, or drove them away To barren rocks and fields that have no clay. - "Reincarnations", James Stephens.