Definition of annoy :
1. A feeling of discomfort or vexation caused by what one dislikes; also, whatever causes such a feeling; as, to work annoy.
2. To disturb or irritate, especially by continued or repeated acts; to tease; to ruffle in mind; to vex; as, I was annoyed by his remarks.
3. To molest, incommode, or harm; as, to annoy an army by impeding its march, or by a cannonade.
incommode, reprimand, bawl out, beleaguer, berate, scold, have words, trounce, rally, frustrate, discommode, tantalize, rub, twit, trouble oneself, devil, beset, make, fray, roil, insult, reach, disoblige, tantalise, bewilder, urticate, stir up, shake up, get at, dun, flummox, pose, reproof, study atbother, dress down, get, chide, put out, progress to, lambast, rebuke, dumbfound, lecture, commove, call down, beat, agitate, get to, worry, call on the carpet, chew up, gall, inconvenience oneself, stupefy, mystify, pain, remonstrate, feelings, taunt, take to task, inconvenience, raise up, excoriate, wound, razz, ruffle, plague, nettle, nonplus, chew out, scratch, crucify, cod, rag, access, amaze, perplex, ride, gravel, jaw, lambaste, puzzle, stick, baffle, nark, affront, bug
aggravate (part of speech: verb)
badger, bait, nag, disturb, discompose, envenom, antagonize, exasperate, grate, perturb, upset, harass, chafe, peeve, harry, enrage, torment, bedevil, inflame, needle, pester, rankle, trouble, infuriate, aggravate, exacerbate, arouse
displease (part of speech: verb)
irritate (part of speech: verb)
bore (part of speech: verb)
- They no longer continued to annoy me with their screaming, though, now and then, an odd one would return and fly very near; as if wondering what I was doing in such a place, and whether I did not mean to go away from it. - "The Boy Tar", Mayne Reid.
- " I assure you she doesn't annoy me in the least. - "The Rebel of the School", Mrs. L. T. Meade.
- Here were no toil, no annoy, no frightened flutterings of the heart; she had passed the frontier, and was safe in her own land. - "Audrey", Mary Johnston.