Definition of mucilaginous:
- Of, pertaining to, or secreting, mucilage; as, the mucilaginous glands.
- Partaking of the nature of, or resembling, mucilage; moist, soft, and viscid; slimy; ropy; as, a mucilaginous liquid.
- Soluble in water, but not in alcohol; yielding mucilage; as, mucilaginous gums or plants.
syrupy, pastelike, viscid, pasty, gummy, embarrassing, adhesive, awkward, steamy, unenviable, solid, glutinous, gluey, gummed, viscose, sticky, viscous, muggy.
Certainly, applied to its subject, it had a mucilaginous
- "The Unspeakable Perk", Samuel Hopkins Adams.
After so much schooling in the virtues of water- seeking plants, one is not surprised to learn that its mucilaginous
sap has healing powers.
- "The Land Of Little Rain", Mary Hunter Austin.
That's where it's a matter o' conscience with me; and my conclusion is, in such a mucilaginous
state of affairs, a man who wants to accommodate the public must be either all sides or no sides; and, therefore I say, my motto is, a publican should- leastways I speak in regard to these times- have no sides.
- "Quodlibet", John P. Kennedy.