Definition of shriek :
1. A sharp, shrill outcry or scream; a shrill wild cry such as is caused by sudden or extreme terror, pain, or the like.
2. To utter a loud, sharp, shrill sound or cry, as do some birds and beasts; to scream, as in a sudden fright, in horror or anguish.
3. To utter sharply and shrilly; to utter in or with a shriek or shrieks.
cry (part of speech: verb)
scream (part of speech: verb)
- Jack uttered a yell that rang like a death- shriek among the rocks. - "The Coral Island", R.M. Ballantyne.
- The low moaning notes and the final shriek roused Dare, the great dog, to a sudden wild excitement. - "The Dorrance Domain", Carolyn Wells.
- He whispered it to Irene, but Drury heard him, and a shriek of despair went from him like a flash of fire. - "In a Little Town", Rupert Hughes.