Definition of truant:
- One who stays away from business or any duty; especially, one who stays out of school without leave; an idler; a loiterer; a shirk.
- To idle away time; to loiter, or wander; to play the truant.
- To idle away; to waste.
- Wandering from business or duty; loitering; idle, and shirking duty; as, a truant boy.
- "The Law of Hemlock Mountain", Hugh Lundsford.
Stafford did not reply, but stole up to the truant step by step cautiously, and gradually approached near enough to lay his hand on its shoulder; from its shoulder he worked to its neck and wound his arms round it.- "At Love's Cost", Charles Garvice.
- "Wilfrid Cumbermede", George MacDonald.