Definition of jackal :
1. Any one of several species of carnivorous animals inhabiting Africa and Asia, related to the dog and wolf. They are cowardly, nocturnal, and gregarious. They feed largely on carrion, and are noted for their piercing and dismal howling.
2. One who does mean work for another's advantage, as jackals were once thought to kill game which lions appropriated.
flatterer (part of speech: noun)
mammal (part of speech: noun)
fox, hippopotamus, camel, cavy, ibex, donkey, lynx, hamster, hare, otter, antelope, wolf, sheep, echidna, rhinoceros, mule, lemming, dog, hog, mongoose, squirrel, raccoon, horse, dingo, burro, hyena, wallaby, panda, coyote, elephant, caribou, opossum, llama, lion, gazelle, mole, cow, puma, polecat, mouse, arctic fox, cat, ox, zebra, kangaroo, pig, weasel, marmot, giraffe, gopher, porcupine, stag, camelopard, bobcat, ermine, panther, ocelot, deer, chipmunk, bison, alpaca, goat, cheetah, wombat, sable, yak, koala, rabbit, buffalo, swine, stoat, mink, shrew, skunk, cougar, ferret, hedgehog, possum, beaver, gnu, bear, tiger, dromedary, sloth, platypus, moose, chinchilla, jaguar, reindeer, rat, leopard, elk, ass
- It would be well, thought the dispirited jackal ruefully, to remove the unfavourable impression made, by a valuable service rendered to the United Republics. - "The Dop Doctor", Clotilde Inez Mary Graves.
- When they were out of sight the jackal arrived. - "The Grey Fairy Book", Andrew Lang.
- The princess asked the jackal, Sivalu! - "Folk-Tales of Bengal", Lal Behari Day.