Definition of remorse :
1. Sympathetic sorrow; pity; compassion.
2. The anguish, like gnawing pain, excited by a sense of guilt; compunction of conscience for a crime committed, or for the sins of one's past life.
penitence (part of speech: noun)
regret (part of speech: noun)
- From that moment she trembled at her danger, and quivered under the remorse which terror brings. - "Not Pretty, But Precious", John Hay, et al..
- Hope was yet alive, for she had shown me tenderness, and once it had seemed as though a passing shadow of remorse had shot across her brightness. - "Simon Dale", Anthony Hope.
- The old peasant laughed at her grief as he said: " Then, as now, I shall have no soul to trouble me with remorse or conscience"; and the Countess covered her eyes with her hand and beckoned silently that he should go. - "Hero-Myths & Legends of the British Race", Maud Isabel Ebbutt.