Definition of regret :
1. Dislike; aversion.
2. Pain of mind on account of something done or experienced in the past, with a wish that it had been different; a looking back with dissatisfaction or with longing; grief; sorrow; especially, a mourning on account of the loss of some joy, advantage, or satisfaction.
3. To experience regret on account of; to lose or miss with a sense of regret; to feel sorrow or dissatisfaction on account of ( the happening or the loss of something); as, to regret an error; to regret lost opportunities or friends.
bewail, melancholy, anxiety, deplore, pain, discontentment, uneasiness, herb of grace, letdown, discontent, bemoan, excuse, disgruntlement, satisfaction, comfort, mourning, discomfort, happy, mea culpa, affliction, sorrowfulness, compunction, ruefulness, nostalgia, dissatisfaction, annoyance, care, sadness, conscience, trouble, tribulation, concern, worry, scruple, disappointment, distress, bitterness, misgiving, wo
apologize (part of speech: verb)
regret (part of speech: verb)
penitence (part of speech: noun)
- Nothing to hope, that is likelie to come to pass- Nothing to regret, except I begin soe far back, that my whole Life hath neede, as 'twere, to begin over agayn. - "Mary Powell & Deborah's Diary", Anne Manning.
- " I regret matters should be so much at fault," said she. - "54-40 or Fight", Emerson Hough.
- I can't regret it; I can't even try or wish to. - "The Garden Of Allah", Robert Hichens.