Definition of sandalwood:
- Any tree of the genus Santalum, or a tree which yields sandalwood.
- The highly perfumed yellowish heartwood of an East Indian and Polynesian tree ( Santalum album), and of several other trees of the same genus, as the Hawaiian Santalum Freycinetianum and S. pyrularium, the Australian S. latifolium, etc. The name is extended to several other kinds of fragrant wood.
- The red wood of a kind of buckthorn, used in Russia for dyeing leather ( Rhamnus Dahuricus).
- "The Tribes and Castes of the Central Provinces of India Volume II", R. V. Russell.
- "The Outcaste", F. E. Penny.
Afterwards Nestie took Speug to his room and showed him his various treasures- a writing- desk with a secret drawer; The Sandalwood Traders by Ballantyne; a box of real tools, with nails and tacks complete; and then he uncovered something hidden in a case, whereat Speug was utterly astonished.- "Young Barbarians", Ian Maclaren.