Definition of sail:
- A passage by a sailing vessel; a journey or excursion upon the water.
- A sailing vessel; a vessel of any kind; a craft.
- A wing; a van.
- An extent of canvas or other fabric by means of which the wind is made serviceable as a power for propelling vessels through the water.
- Anything resembling a sail, or regarded as a sail.
- The extended surface of the arm of a windmill.
- To be conveyed in a vessel on water; to pass by water; as, they sailed from London to Canton.
- To be impelled or driven forward by the action of wind upon sails, as a ship on water; to be impelled on a body of water by the action of steam or other power.
- To direct or manage the motion of, as a vessel; as, to sail one's own ship.
- To fly through; to glide or move smoothly through.
- To move smoothly through the air; to glide through the air without apparent exertion, as a bird.
- To move through or on the water; to swim, as a fish or a water fowl.
- To pass or move upon, as in a ship, by means of sails; hence, to move or journey upon ( the water) by means of steam or other force.
- To set sail; to begin a voyage.
plane, flitter, skim, canvas tent, whisk, scoot, rocket, drag, navigate, shoot, roll, scour, traverse, sailv, opinion poll, dash, pelt, depart, nip, bolt, bed sheet, move, tangle, voyage, cloth, poll, tear, sheet, embroil, flap, tackle, bucket, fly, sheet of paper, highball, rag, flash, hop to it, hurry, swing out, go at, cross, journey, canvass, leavev, rush, run, dart, attack, flat solid, bustle, hotfoot, cruise, race, festinate, broom, public opinion poll, whiz, speed, tabloid, sprint, span, mainsheet, brush, work, zoom, fleet, sweep, shroud, hustle, piece of paper, set out, zip, trip, tack, flit, wing, haste, sweep up, glide, canvas, rip, swing, trot, whirl, weather sheet, barrel, flutter, flow, hasten, drag in.
- "Springhaven A Tale of the Great War", R. D. Blackmore.
- "Dan Merrithew", Lawrence Perry.
- "The Isle of Unrest", Henry Seton Merriman.