Definition of bufo :
1. A genus of Amphibia including various species of toads.
2. any toad of the genus Bufo
3. The family of true toads belonging to the order Anura. The genera include Bufo, Ansonia, Nectophrynoides, and Atelopus.
- Of the family of tailed batrachians, Ceylon does not furnish a single example; but of those without this appendage, the island, as above remarked, affords many varieties; seven distinguishable species pertaining to the genus rana, or true frogs with webs to the hind feet; two to the genus bufo, or true toads, and five to the Polypedates, or East Indian " tree- frogs;" besides a few others in allied genera. - "Sketches of the Natural History of Ceylon", J. Emerson Tennent.
- It is certainly not John the Baptist, nor John the Evangelist, nor James the Greater, nor James the Less; he must inevitably be some witling of a Hun, to write such abominable impertinence, or some ill- conditioned, malicious " bufo magro," who is never more happy than when sneering at what all the rest of the world deem most valuable and sacred. - "A Philosophical Dictionary, Volume 7 (of 10) From "The Works of Voltaire - A Contemporary Version"", François-Marie Arouet (AKA Voltaire) Commentator: John Morley Tobias Smollett H.G. Leigh.
- Of amphibia, only five kinds can be distinctly named; a brown Coluber, two small lizards of the family of Scincoidea, a small Rana, with a spot like an eye on the belly, and a small Bufo. - "A New Voyage Round the World, in the years 1823, 24, 25, and 26, Vol. 2", Otto von Kotzebue.