Definition of daffodil :
1. A plant of the genus Asphodelus.
2. A plant of the genus Narcissus ( N. Pseudo- narcissus). It has a bulbous root and beautiful flowers, usually of a yellow hue. Called also daffodilly, daffadilly, daffadowndilly, daffydowndilly, etc.
flower (part of speech: noun)
gardenia, crocus, flower, gladiolus, amaryllis, heather, aster, flax, morning-glory, snowberry, water lily, snowball, phlox, Queen Anne's lace, marigold, columbine, sweet william, rhododendron, mayflower, hibiscus, yucca, oleander, clematis, camellia, hydrangea, chrysanthemum, rose, azalea, spirea, black-eyed susan, wallflower, hollyhock, bluebell, fleur-de-lis, periwinkle, cowslip, lupine, ranunculus, daisy, anemone, foxglove, verbena, cornflower, orchid, indigo, lady's slipper, buttercup, jonquil, wisteria, trillium, mimosa, strawflower, iris, pansy, baby's breath, dahlia, tulip, dandelion, acacia, primrose, rosemary, duckweed, hawthorn, smilax, lilac, goldenrod, narcissus, edelweiss, peony, lotus, lily, carnation, lavender, dogwood, laurel, geranium, forget-me-not, snapdragon, sweet pea, begonia, African violet, foxtail, fuchsia, zinnia, viburnum, hyacinth, poppy, bloodroot, hepatica, sunflower, magnolia, larkspur, poinsettia, honeysuckle, violet, jasmine, petunia
- Presently he stopped, and looked long at some daffodil blades which were thrusting up in a sheltered place. - "Father Payne", Arthur Christopher Benson.
- One of them had a daffodil in his hand, which he put down carelessly on the table. - "Father Payne", Arthur Christopher Benson.
- Sally Daffodil smiled patiently. - "Joe Burke's Last Stand", John Moncure Wetterau.