Definition of lid :
1. A calyx which separates from the flower, and falls off in a single piece, as in the Australian Eucalypti.
2. That which covers the opening of a vessel or box, etc.; a movable cover; as, the lid of a chest or trunk.
3. The cover of the eye; an eyelid.
4. The cover of the spore cases of mosses.
5. The top of an ovary which opens transversely, as in the fruit of the purslane and the tree which yields Brazil nuts.
- To convince Jan he had pulled out the table drawer and thrown back the lid of his clothes- chest, to let him see for himself that there was no such letter. - "The Emperor of Portugallia", Selma Lagerlof.
- Over in a corner was a black box, of which the lid was loose. - "The End of Her Honeymoon", Marie Belloc Lowndes.
- " If I might ask," says he, smooth as a silk lid, " what is your name?" - "Torchy", Sewell Ford.