Definition of await :
1. A waiting for; ambush; watch; watching; heed.
2. To be in store for; to be ready or in waiting for; as, a glorious reward awaits the good.
3. To wait ( on or upon).
4. To wait for; to stay for; to expect. See Expect.
5. To wait on, serve, or attend.
6. To wait; to stay in waiting.
7. To watch for; to look out for.
8. To watch.
front, confront, remain, depend, hold off, search, stop, bear, calculate, waitress, tarry, dwell, ask, seem, sojourn, figure on, abide, require, reside, live, face, inhabit, continue, have a bun in the oven, endure, carry, see, take care, watch, study atanticipate, rest, surprise, reckon, count on, wait, look, attend, stay, be in store for, tolerate, appear, bide, gestate, lodge, bet, look for, hold back, count
expect (part of speech: verb)
hope (part of speech: verb)
- They were utterly helpless; and could do nothing but await the result. - "The Boy Hunters", Captain Mayne Reid.
- At the door itself, the figure of the master seems to await his visitors and bid them welcome. - "Manual Of Egyptian Archaeology And Guide To The Study Of Antiquities In Egypt", Gaston Camille Charles Maspero.
- He could only decide to do exactly as he had been told, and await events. - "Here and Hereafter", Barry Pain.