Definition of breadfruit :
1. The fruit of a tree ( Artocarpus incisa) found in the islands of the Pacific, esp. the South Sea islands. It is of a roundish form, from four to six or seven inches in diameter, and, when baked, somewhat resembles bread, and is eaten as food, whence the name.
2. The tree itself, which is one of considerable size, with large, lobed leaves. Cloth is made from the bark, and the timber is used for many purposes. Called also breadfruit tree and bread tree.
Artocarpus communis, Artocarpus Altilis, breadfruit tree
fruits (part of speech: noun)
tree (part of speech: noun)
dogwood, eucalyptus, rosewood, poplar, tamarack, mahogany, cashew, laurel, balsa, lemon, acacia, mulberry, cedar, ebony, avocado, yew, redwood, banyan, balsam, mimosa, weeping willow, willow, mountain ash, pear, sycamore, hickory, cassia, pecan, orange, elder, gum, lime, linden, teak, juniper, quince, oak, fir, sequoia, almond, palm, fig, peach, butternut, spruce, cottonwood, apple, citron, coconut, larch, apricot, magnolia, ash, locust, alder, sandalwood, mangrove, papaya, cherry, aspen, elm, cypress, beech, chestnut, pine, maple, tree, walnut, birch, ironwood
- Yes, Sir, that's the man-" Breadfruit Bligh," as they called him. - "News from the Duchy", Sir Arthur Thomas Quiller-Couch.
- His food- list now embraced shellfish and birds, wild yams, breadfruit, and cocoanuts, which, even the latter, he cooked before eating and prepared before cooking. - ""Where Angels Fear to Tread" and Other Stories of the Sea", Morgan Robertson.
- While her shrine was building she is said to have appeared to the faithful in the top of a large breadfruit tree, which is known to the Tagalogs as " antipolo"; hence her name. - "The Social Cancer A Complete English Version of Noli Me Tangere", JosÃ© Rizal.