Definition of agonize:
dread, besiege, bleed, bedevil, harrow, have a lot on your mind, worry, turn, struggle, writhe, toss, fret, repetition, panic, writhe, sorrow, smite, squirm, scourge, attack, hardly dare (to) breathe, plague, upset yourself, help, agonise, excruciate, fear, beset, strike, curse.
- lament (part of speech: verb)
- punish (part of speech: verb)
- pain (part of speech: verb)
- "Chita: A Memory of Last Island", Lafcadio Hearn.
After the bills were paid and business was done, there was pleasure to follow, for there was a fitting- on at the dress- maker's, the fitting- on of a tea- gown, to be worn at winter- evening bridge- parties, which, unless Miss Mapp was sadly mistaken, would astound and agonize by its magnificence all who set eyes on it.- "Miss Mapp", Edward Frederic Benson.
- "Wilfrid Cumbermede", George MacDonald.