Definition of buccaneer :
1. A robber upon the sea; a pirate; - a term applied especially to the piratical adventurers who made depredations on the Spaniards in America in the 17th and 18th centuries.
2. To act the part of a buccaneer; to live as a piratical adventurer or sea robber.
highwayman, raider, plagiarist, marauder, bandit, plagiarizer, pirate ship, literary pirate, footpad, despoiler, sea robber, thief, plunderer, criminal, burglar, forager, pillager, freebooter, robber, sea rover, pirate, depredator, brigand, plagiariser
- What you want is some one more of the Young Lochinvar type, or a buccaneer. - "Lalage's Lovers 1911", George A. Birmingham.
- The Old Buccaneer seems to have had money too. - "The Complete Project Gutenberg Works of George Meredith", George Meredith.
- On shooting mornings Maria ceased to be a buccaneer, a glutton, and a hypocrite. - "Some Experiences of an Irish R.M.", E. OE. Somerville Martin Ross.